The end of the year is a time for nostalgia, and 2017 has given me some incredible travel memories to reflect on.
In travelling through 12 countries across four continents, I have amassed thousands of photographs – most of them quite mediocre and repetitive! But with a grandstand end to the year in Sydney Harbour looming, I took some time out to look through the backlog and pick out my favourite 20 photographs from our journey so far.
1. Inca Trail, Peru
Taken on the penultimate day of the Inca Trail as we approached Machu Picchu. Literally a path through the clouds.
2. Cruz del Condor, Colca Canyon, Peru
The world’s largest flying birds prowling for prey at dawn.
3. Sunset over Lake Titicaca, Copacabana, Bolivia
A beautiful entry to Bolivia, one of the most incredible countries we visited.
4. Cerro Rico mine workers, Potosí, Bolivia
Local miners we visited at work in Potosí. This was not a trip for the faint-hearted: read more here.
5. Laguna Colorada, Salar de Uyuni tour, Bolivia
We saw sunning lagoons of red, green, black and blue on our tour of Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia. This was my favourite.
6. Road from San Pedro de Atacama, Chile, to Salta, Argentina
Considered by many as the most beautiful bus journey in the world from northern Chile into northern Argentina.
7. Sunset colours over Lago Nahuel Huapi, Bariloche, Argentina
Fiery sun rays through grey clouds at dusk in the northern reaches of Patagonia.
8. Garganta del Diablo, Iguazu Falls, Brazil
In among the Devil’s Throat on the Brazil side of the world’s largest waterfall system.
9. Streets of Pelourinho, Salvador, Brazil
Vibrant and active streets in one of Brazil’s most colourful cities.
10. Rio de Janeiro at sunset from Sugar Loaf Mountain, Brazil
One of the world’s most iconic city images, and we got lucky with an amazing sunset.
11. Lighthouse Les Eclaireurs, Ushuaia, Argentina
The world’s southernmost city, Ushuaia, in the background: the red-and-white lighthouse is one of its icons.
12. Glaciar Grey, Torres Del Paine National Park, Chile
This view was our reward for over 100 kilometres of trekking on the last day of Patagonia’s famous W Trek.
13. Perito Moreno Glacier, El Calafate, Argentina
One of the most jaw-dropping views of the Southern Patagonian Ice Field, the largest body of ice in the world outside Antarctica.
14. Fiery sunset at Mount Fitzroy, El Chalten, Argentina
The combination of heavy cloud and a deep orange sunset brought fire to Mount Fitzroy.
15. Inside the ancient Waitomo Caves, New Zealand
Beautiful limestone cave formations made up of ancient coral, seashells and fish skeletons.
16. Mount Ngauruhoe, Tongariro Alpine Crossing, New Zealand
The morning sunshine rebounding off clouds made the real Mount Doom look like an erupting volcano.
17. Milford Sound at dawn, Fiordlands, New Zealand
The one sight in the world I wanted to see most of all, and so this is my favourite picture.
18. Sea lions on Milford Sound, Fiordlands, New Zealand
We caught sight of a group of sea lions frolicking on the rocks at Milford Sound. Read about our South Island roadtrip route here.
19. Twelve Apostles, Great Ocean Road, Australia
A day trip from Melbourne to one of Australia’s sourthernmost points, and stunning coastal rock formations.
20. View of Opera House under Harbour Bridge, Sydney, Australia
Nowhere better to end an amazing year than with the tumultuous NYE celebrations in Sydney. We’ll be here for the fireworks.
You can find all of my travel photos on Flickr here (although they’re not always up to date, it’s difficult to keep it up while on the road!).
Have a great New Year everybody, and see you in 2018!